Saturday, January 30, 2010

Nürnberg im Mittelalter - Nuremberg in the Middle Ages


Nürnberg is one of the prominent cultural centers of the German-speaking world since the late Middle Ages. 

The works of the Nürnberg craftsmen were of a unique variety, of excellent quality and were spread by well organized trade throughout Europe.
They are housed in many museums world-wide and to this date, art objects created at Nürnberg during the Middle Ages are a source of inspiration for art-lovers everywhere.
 

The town of Nürnberg was surrounded by a high wall, a ring made of stones, which was the town wall. 
The town wall protected the city from its enemies, and the town gate was guarded.
The marketplace formed the centre of the town.  

All around the marketplace, businessmen and craftsmen had their retail shops. 
The church was situated in close proximity of the marketplace.
 

My inspiration for this painting was:
The oldest view of the city of Nurenberg towards the end of the Middle Ages (1493)
(Spring: "World chronicle" by Hardman Schedel).
 

The idea of the painting came to me after I had created a series of Romanian icons on glass and learned that painting on glass as a technology had its origin in Southern Germany.
 

The logical consequence for me was to take up this motive (Nürnberg) and to bring it on glass.
 

There was a link, I thought, between the miniature and the painting on glass, between the technique that I had learned in my old home country, Romania, and the technique that had flourished in my new country, Germany, so I painted  “Nürnberg im Mittelalter (Nuremberg in the Middle Ages)“ .
 

The circle was thus complete.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Tatiana - I clicked on the image...the enlarged image is so beautiful..it reminds me of Piero della Francesca's style, of the Italian masters... At the same time the painting feels so utterly intriguing and modern in its concept - a breath of fresh air ... wonderful achievement!

    ReplyDelete